For one of the websites I am maintaining I would like to import the content into a new website running WordPress 3.0 since it is supporting post_types. As there is currently no automatic way (with WordPress Import) to import the content from Website Baker I wrote my own queries and XML formatting to match the WordPress XML import/export structure.
Down below you will find the steps and information what has been done to export and import the Website Baker based website into WordPress.
- Create a new script page within Website Baker;
- Copy/paste the content of this file into the script page;
- Save the page;
- Open the website interface of the page;
- Copy/paste the content of the Generated XML to a text editor;
- Save the file;
- Logon to WordPress with the administrator;
- Navigate to the import section and select import from WordPress;
- Select the earlier saved file and start importing.
Between step 6 and 7 it is also possible to perform some additional steps. For the website I wanted to export/import I needed to do some extra adjustments in the generated file, like: Microsoft Characters conversion, some HTML conversion, etc. These additional steps have been executed in a text editor (e.g. UltraEdit). If you have custom post types or news sections you need to update the attached script and change the queries and add additional loops.
When you are following the above steps you should be able to import most of the Website Baker content into WordPress. I have tested the import against a beta version of WordPress 3.0 and this was working smoothly.
Download the file: websitebaker_export_script
If you have questions regarding the import script just leave a comment on this post and I will try to help you.